Saturday, March 31, 2012

Baby goats

Joy did kid first, but due to one dying in utero, both bucklings died, since Joy went into premature labor.  I ended up taking her to the vet to help.  I think that I could do it now, if I was put into the same circumstances, but it was helpful to watch the vet deliver preemies.

On March 14, Hazal & Amani were racing to see who could kid first.  It would seem as if one was getting closer, but then the other would try to prove that she was the closest.  This carried on all day, until 7:30, when Hazal decided to really get down to business.  She had a doeling & buckling.  Both super easy births & healthy babies!

A few minutes after she kidded, I checked on Amani.  She was going to be pushing soon, so I moved her into a baby barn.  The first kid, a doeling, was breech, but was born ok.  The 2nd kid was born quickly & normally & the 3rd presented with just a head (the front feet were back).  He was born fairly easily despite the malpresentation.  All babies are doing well!

2 comments:

TomWildRose said...

Aw, I'm sorry about the two that died, but glad the rest were born healthy and well.

That reminds me; I meant to send you the pix I took of Kayla's kids....

God bless,
~R

Tasha said...

Oh, how exciting!!
Do share some pictures of your babies when you can!
My ewes all lambed this week, so I've got my own babies running around now - 6 of them=)

Blessings,
~Tasha~