Friday, June 27, 2008

Cherokee was a Registered Toggenburg that I had bought last fall. She had won several ribbions and was an excellent producer. This spring in March, I noticed that she had her hair fluffed out. There was snow on the ground and I thought that she was just cold. Then a few days later, her milk production dropped drastically. She had a very high fever & when I went to give her penicillian, my very first shot, I found to my dismay, that she was covered in lice. Actually they looked more like fleas, but I have heard that goats can't get fleas. I called all the goat people that I thougth would know something about lice & sprinkled Diatematious Earth on all their bedding, walkways, directly on the goats, and in my milk barn. Then because Cherokee had them so bad, Mom picked up some 'real' flea killer & I then sprinkled that on all the goats. When I though that I was done for a while, I also had to syringe fluids down Cherokee quite often and give her shots and make sure she was warm enough, Grommette's udder was getting full. I am always happy when a goat is ready to give birth, but this time with poisenous flea powder sprinkled everywhere and knowing that Cherokee might die anytime, and Diatematious Earth sprinkled in the Birthing stall, I was overwhelmed. After a quick shower, my spirits revived & I was able to carry on my nursing...

No comments: